Acupuncture encourages natural healing. It involves the insertion of tiny acupuncture needles into the skin at specific points on the body to achieve a therapeutic effect. No drug is injected. The needles alone create the beneficial effects of acupuncture. Acupuncture at our clinic is performed by Registered Physiotherapists. If it is part of your treatment, it will be billed under your Physiotherapy Extended Health Insurance.
What to Expect
The needles are so thin that many patients find they do not even feel them being inserted. A dull, heavy, or aching feeling often occurs when the needle is correctly placed. This is referred to as ‘de Qi’ and is considered by some traditional acupuncturists to be necessary for acupuncture to be effective.
The needles are left in place for 15-20 minutes. The practitioner may touch the needles or apply a slight electrical stimulation to some needles.
Most importantly, acupuncture does not hurt.
Acupuncture will be recommended as one of your therapies if you would benefit from:
- Normalization of autonomic nervous dysfunction
- Pain Control
- Cell Regeneration
What to do before an Acupuncture treatment:
- Have a light meal.
- Take no alcohol, barbiturate or tranquilizer for 4 hours before treatment
- Continue any other medication as prescribed by your doctor
- Do not smoke for 1 hour before a treatment
- Be as well rested as possible
What to do after an Acupuncture treatment:
- Rest for 2 hours after you get home, if possible.
- If treatment is for a painful condition, avoid strenuous activity for 2 days after treatment, even if you are pain-free.
- Take pain pills or other medication as directed by your doctor. Keep a record of the amount you take. Do not have any alcohol or caffeine for 2 hours after treatment. Do not smoke tobacco for 1 hour after a treatment.
- Some people obtain relief immediately, some notice improvement after a few hours, some after a few days. Some require several treatments before responding. Some do not respond.
- Occasionally symptoms become worse before they improve. This usually only lasts 1-2 days.
- The number of treatments required varies with each person and condition.